ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Sandro Offline OP
I know this topic was covered recently, but can anybody point me to a spec, manufacturer or web site of where I can buy an appliance garage disconnect switch. My local supply house only has 120V 3A rated plunger switches, and I need one rated for 15A. Anybody help??

Sandro,

Do you mean one of these?

[Linked Image from eclectic-ware.com]

What is the Disconnect for and where does it go?

Bill

Bill
S
Sandro Offline OP
Bill......Yes! That is exactly what I am talking about. Canadian Electrical Code requires that when the appliance garage door is closed, power to the receptacle has to be disconnected via a door switch in the appliance garage. Of course, when the door is fully open, the receptacle would be energized. The reasoning behind this is if the person were to leave a coffee maker or toaster on, and shut the appliance garage, a potential fire could result.

My understanding is that I need some sort of NO plunger switch so that the door can hit it and activate the receptacle.

Nobody else in US or Canada has come across this? I take it this rule is only found in the canadian electrical code?

Sandro,

I moved your question to the Canadian Forum in the hopes that Tony M. or one of our Canadian visitors will see it and respond.

I've never heard of this requirement before. Interesting !

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 03-09-2002).]

Bill
G
Have you tried Klockner Moeller I believe you can use some of their switches at least thats how I planned to get around that one when I finally have to do it. Telemechanic also have switches that could be used. I don't know of anyone that markets a switch specifically for this type of job, but thats not abnormal put it in the code and let the elcetricians figure it out.

What wiring method would be used for this? Do these switches come with enclosures that will connect to a cable? It seems to me that they are asking a lot of your ingenuity and mechanical skills with this rule.

Does it have to be a mechanical switch, or could it operate off a sensor somehow? Just curious.

Bill

Bill
G
The code book isn't very specific only that the switch must be able to turn the power off when the door is closed. I haven't really figured out what all that will have to be done but a sensor that registers when the door it down might not be such a bad idea.
What I'm wondering about is the 2002 code is not adopted in many provinces as a matter of fact I didn't thing it had been adopted yet anywhere, so where is it being in place?

T
Rule 26-702 Receptacles in Residential Occupancies (see Appendices B and G

(16) A receptacle shall not be placed in a cupboard, cabinet, or similar enclosure except where:
(a) The receptacle is an integral part of a factory-built enclosure; or
(b) The receptacle is provided for use with a specific type of appliance that is intended for use within the enclosure; or
(c) The receptacle is intended for use with a microwave oven.

(17) Except for cord-connected dishwashers, in-line water heaters, garbage disposal units, and other similar appliances, receptacles installed in cupboards, cabinets, or similar enclosures in accordance with Paragraph (16)(b) shall be de-energized unless the enclosure door is in the fully opened position.

(22) Any receptacle that is part of a lighting fixture or appliance, or that is located within cabinets or cupboards as permitted by Subrule (16), or that is located more than 1.7 m above the floor shall not be considered as any of the receptacles required by this Rule.

Intent for Rule 26-702...

Subrule (16). Receptacles shall not be placed in cupboards/wall cabinets, unless:

(a) the receptacle is an integral part of a factory-built enclosure that is certified to Canadian standards (the standard requires the receptacle to be de-energized unless the enclosure door is in the fully open position); or

(b) they are intended for use with a specific appliance, ie, a receptacle in a cupboard/wall cabinet would be allowable for a food mixer mounted on a swing-away shelf; or
(c) they are intended for use with a microwave oven.

Subrule (17). We intend that where a receptacle is installed in a cupboard, cabinet, or similar enclosure, the receptacle shall be de-energized unless the door remains in the fully open position. An exception to this requirement is made for cord-connected dishwashers, in-line water heaters, garbage disposal units, and other similar appliances. We don't want an appliance to be plugged into a receptacle and then have someone damage the cord while trying to close the door of the cupboard, or a cooking or heating appliance to be plugged in and left on with the cupboard door closed, thus creating a severe fire hazard.

Subrule (22). Some outdoor lighting fixtures or appliances such as ranges are equipped with an integral receptacle. Such receptacles as well as those located within cabinets or cupboards, as permitted by Subrule (16), or receptacles located more than 1.7 m above the floor, are not to be substituted for any of the receptacles required by this Rule.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority

Link Copied to Clipboard