ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101573 01/02/02 08:26 PM
F
frank Offline OP
In Canada is there a masters license and if there is what is needed to apply for the exam? Thanks

#101574 01/03/02 04:11 PM
T
Qualifications of a Master Electrician

In order to obtain a Master Electrician Qualification, a person must possess a valid Ontario Ministry of Education and Training "Certificate of Qualification" plus have passed the "Master Electrician Examination"

The electrical "Certificate of Qualification" (referred to as C of Q) is usually obtained by completing the Ontario apprenticeship training program and passing the subsequent examination or it's equivalent.

The second qualification is that he/she must be at least 18 years of age. If a Master has not renewed his/her license for two or more consecutive years, he/she may have to be re-examined.

Tony Moscioni
© Electrical Safety Authority

#101575 01/06/02 03:51 PM
G
In Alberta you must be licenced for five years as a Journeyman then you can take the test (seven hours long) for your Masters.

#101576 04/11/02 10:02 PM
C
Hey Tony, the world doesn't revolve around Ontario, sorry. I'm from Alberta where we have a lot of tradesmen(women) coming from all across Canada. The best thing I ever hear from apprentices who have done schooling in Ontario is "I can't believe how much the instructors at SAIT expect" I did my schooling at SAIT, at least if you're going to post a reply say what is required in the rest of Canada.

#101577 04/12/02 08:14 AM
S
Tony in Ontario what's involved in getting the masters ticket? Whats the advantage of having it? Who needs it? Who regulates it? Where do you apply for it?
Thanks SamC

#101578 04/12/02 04:48 PM
T
Sam,

In Ontario, where municipal by-laws dictate, all electrical contracting companies require a master electrician.

Ontario's Electrical Reciprocal Licensing Program:

The change to the licensing portion of the Municipal Act gave rise to concern in the electrical contracting industry and it's associations, that the public might be exposed to unqualified participants in their industry. For several years, prior to the change noted above, the need was recognized for the electrical industry to get directly involved in the issue. Hence, ECRA was born.

The Electrical Contractor Registration Agency (ECRA) was formed by the Electrical Contractors Association of Ontario to administer a provincial system that would create an examination for master electricians and, encourage municipalities to adopt a common qualification for master electricians and electrical contractors. The ECRA board of directors is chosen from:

1) Electrical Contractors
2) Electrical Safety Authority
3) Provincial Municipalities

To date, 11 municipalities are part of the Reciprocal Recognition Program:
1) Metro Toronto
2) Hamilton-Wentworth
3) London
4) Ottawa
5) Kitchener
6) Windsor
7) Thunder Bay
8) Guelph
9) Kingston
10) Brantford
11) Barrie

Qualifications of a Master Electrician:

In order to obtain a Master Electrician Qualification, a person must possess a valid Ontario Ministry of Education and Training "Certificate of Qualification" plus have passed the "Master Electrician Examination"

The electrical "Certificate of Qualification" (referred to as C of Q) is usually obtained by completing the Ontario apprenticeship training program and passing the subsequent examination or it's equivalent.

The second qualification is that he/she must be at least 18 years of age. If a Master has not renewed his/her license for two or more consecutive years, he/she may have to be re-examined.

Enforcement:

The enforcement of licensing and the municipal by-laws governing the qualifications and fees are the responsibility of the individual municipality.

It is however noteworthy, that part of the package of changes to the act included a five year "sunset clause". This means that all municipal by-laws (old and new), are only in force for a maximum of five years, after which they must be reviewed.

Tony Moscioni

#101579 04/13/02 12:53 AM
S
I work in a small town @ a mill in northern On., and I do service upgrades 4 -8 times and reno's most of the year , every time I do any work , I make sure a permit is taken out and I install to ESA standards. Even though res. work is not my specialty , our ESA inspector likes the tidiness and quality of my workmanship. Am I reqiured to have a masters ticket to do this work? If so Where do you go to get this status? Where? Where? Where?

#101580 04/13/02 02:53 AM
V
so if i was to up and move to ontario there is no possible way of obtaining an masters licence because i attend school in bc.at bcit
.what good is the ip

#101581 04/13/02 10:04 AM
T
Sam,

You have to inquire in the municipality in which you live whether or not a "Master's Licence" is required to operate an electrical contracting business.

Not all municipalities in Ontario require this licence.

Remember, however, an application for inspection is.

Contact The Electrical Contractor Registration Agency (ECRA) at: 23 Lesmill Rd
Suite 207
Toronto, Ont.
M3B 3P6
416-391-3226

Vancouve Sparky,

The interprovincial ticket allows you to work as an electrician in any province in Canada for an electrical contractor, or in some cases for yourself.

If you were to operate as an electrical contractor in Ontario, some municipalities in this province would require you to obtain a "Master's Licence" and you would have to follow the steps outlined in the previuos e-mail threads above.

Tony Moscioni

#101582 04/16/02 09:08 AM
S
Thanks for the info Tony
SamC

Link Copied to Clipboard