ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101556 11/16/01 10:14 PM
L
In Canada when installing a hydro massage
tub (jacuzzi), is it acceptable to protect the tub with a GFI receptacle mounted at the electrical panel?
For example if the house has a fuse panel or an older/obsolete panel where a GFI breaker would not be availible?

#101557 11/19/01 10:33 AM
T
Lawrence,

Some manufacturers of hot tubs utilize feed through type GFCI protectors in their control panel rather than GFCI circuit breakers. A consistency issue has been raised as to whether a local disconnecting means is required at these types of spas.

Answer: Yes, unless Code compliant disconnecting means are provided by the hot tub/spa manufacturer.

A feed thru type GFCI protector is not acceptable as the disconnecting means for a hot tub motor and controller. A circuit breaker in a panel is not acceptable as a lockable disconnecting means unless fitted with an approved permanently mounted lock off device, or it is within 9 m and within sight of the spa motor and controller.

A disconnecting means complying with Rule 28-602 shall be field installed and located in accordance with Rule 28-604 for all hot tub/spa installations where code compliant disconnecting means is not provided by the manufacturer as part of an approved assembly.

It should be noted some hot tub pump motors are equipped by the manufacturer with an attachment receptacle and connector at the control panel. Rule 28-602(3) permits the use of an attachment receptacle and connector for isolation of the pump motor. However, Rule 28-600 still requires a disconnecting means for the motor controller.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
© Electrical Safety Authority - 2001

#101558 11/19/01 06:33 PM
R
tony, you are right on, except for the fact that the orginial poster was asking about a jetted tub, not a hot tub/spa.

The motor is plugged in, with a receptacle usually in the motor compartment. It is usually a regular receptacle installed in this space, and there is a faceless GFCI installed somewhere else in the bathroom. The motor is protected by this GFCI, which is all that is required by code, & manufacturer.

Rick Miell

#101559 11/20/01 12:10 AM
L
Thanks for the replies

It is a jet tub I'm asking about.

There isn't a receptacle or plug in the compartment,it appears that it is to be hardwired (in a waterproof junction box)

Can the faceless GFI be located at the electrical panel or must it be in the washroom (within sight of the tub)?

#101560 11/20/01 03:11 PM
T
Lawrence / Rick,

Sorry, thanks for the correction....I believe I was staring at the laptop screen a little too long that morning!

68-068 * GFCI locations for Hydro Massage Bathtubs

Acceptable locations:
If located under the tub, shall be readily acceptable,
GFCI breaker in the panel,
Feedthrough GFCI in an accessible location

Note: Standard Cord cap and receptacle at the tub is an acceptable disconnecting means for this pump.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
© Electrical Safety Authority - 2001

Link Copied to Clipboard