ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#101539 09/05/01 08:52 PM
Paul,

I've heard the name pozi-drive (don't know spelling) in reference to a type of screwdriver tip on Auto mechanics' Snap-On brand tools. That was about 25 yrs ago.

Here's a picture I found:

[img]http://us.st7.yimg.com/store4.yimg.com/I/toolsplus_1649_33971656[/img]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 09-05-2001).]

Bill
#101540 09/06/01 06:07 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
That looks like the Pozi-Driv tip. If you look closely between the main cross blades, you can see the smaller flutes that fit the star shaped middle of the head.

These heads have become very popular here for general building screws etc. over the last 30 years or so.

Pozi-Driv is the official trademark, but you'll also see lots of other corruptions: Pozidrive, Posi-drive, Posidrive, etc.

#101541 11/30/01 02:34 AM
G
The CEC does not permit 15 amp receptacles on a circuit with a 20 amp circuit breaker.

There are two styles of 120V, 20 amp receptacle approved for Canada. The first is the normal 5-20R, which has one vertical slot and one horizontal slot. The second is the U.L. style T-slot receptacle with a dual 15/20 amp rating. This has one vertical slot, and a second slot which looks like the letter T on its side. It requires a 20 amp breaker, but you can insert a 15 amp cord cap into it.

Regards,
Brian

#101542 11/30/01 09:07 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Hello Brian, and welcome.

Many thanks for your information. Like all the guys south of the 49th here, I'd only ever seen the normal U.S. 20A receptacle which accepts 15 or 20A plugs.
If you have another type in Canada which doesn't have the T on the neutral, then I can see how the reply on the DIY site makes sense.

I would've thought the regular NEMA 5-20 recepts. would be more convenient. Are the Canadian 20A-only types widely used in place of the U.S. style?

#101543 11/30/01 02:58 PM
T
Rule 14-600 - Protection of Receptacles
Receptacles shall not be connected to a branch circuit having overcurrent protection rated or set at more than the ampere rating of the receptacle except as permitted by other Sections of this Code.

Rationale for Rule 14-600.
Receptacle configurations are standardized according to voltage and ampere ratings as shown in Diagrams 1 and 2 of the CE Code, Part I. The configurations for either locking or non-locking types are arranged to prevent connection of a load greater than the rating of the receptacle.

Intent for Rule 14-600.
We intend that branch circuit overcurrent protective devices supplying receptacles be rated not larger than the rating of the receptacles, except in specific circumstances as allowed in other Sections (eg, Rule 42-004).

Rule 42-004 Receptacles and Attachment Plugs

Where a welder is cord connected, the rating of the receptacle and attachment plug shall be permitted to be less than the rating of the overcurrent devices protecting them, but not less than the ampacity of the supply conductors required for the welder.

Rationale for Rule 42-004.
To allow for portability, certain welders need to be connected by a receptacle and attachment plug cap. This Rule provides an exception to the normal requirement of receptacle sizing, as specified in Rule 14-600, because of the nature of the connected load.

Intent for Rule 42-004.
We have determined that the ampacity of the branch circuit conductors of the welder should be the determining factor in selecting the current-carrying capacity of the receptacle. Ampacity of the branch circuit conductors has been chosen rather than the rating of the overcurrent device, because the latter is sized to accommodate short-duration inrush currents, which occur during start-up, as well as the continuous current of the welding operation.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
© Electrical Safety Authority – 2001

#101544 11/30/01 03:59 PM
G
>I would've thought the regular NEMA 5-20 recepts. would be more convenient. Are the Canadian 20A-only types widely used in place of the U.S. style?

They are more convenient, but until recently weren't widely used because they require a 20 amp breaker and #12 wire, which makes them more expensive to install than a 15 amp receptacle. The Canadian-style 20 amp only receptacle has always been available, but is a low volume item because 120V 20A devices aren't too common.

Where we use the U.L. style 20A T-slot receptacle is in residential kitchen counter circuits as an alternative to 15A split 3-wire circuits. A 20A single pole breaker is quite a bit cheaper than a 15A two pole, and 2/12 loomex is a somewhat cheaper than 3/14.

So does the NEC allows you to wire a 15/20A T-slot receptacle with #14 wire and a 15A breaker, or is it just that you can use a 15A receptacle on a 20A breaker with #12 wire?

Regards,
Brian

[This message has been edited by granam (edited 11-30-2001).]

#101545 11/30/01 05:56 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Brian,

I've spent a fair bit of time in the States, but I'm actually in England, so by no means am I fully acquainted with all the intricacies of the NEC, although I've studied a certain amount (and also learned a lot more from the people on here - Thanks guys!).

So far as I interpet it, I don't think the NEC allows a 20A recept. to be wired on a 15A branch. I do know that the U.S. regularly uses 20A branches which can feed a mixture of 15 and 20A recepts. I had this where I stayed, with 20A recepts. in the kitchen and 15A elsewhere.

I'm sure one of our American friends will put me straight if I've got any of that wrong.

Tony,

Thanks for the official wording. I think the max. overcurrent device rating and the recept. rating is something which has many different approaches. For example, over here our "code" allows the old-style 5A recepts. on a branch circuit of up to 15A.

#101546 12/01/01 12:33 AM
G
>For example, over here our "code" allows the old-style 5A recepts. on a branch circuit of up to 15A.

I was under the impression that British receptacles use internal fuse links sized to the rating of the receptacle.

Is that correct?

Regards,
Brian

#101547 12/01/01 03:08 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
You're almost correct. The fuse link is actually fitted into the plug, not the receptacle, and is selected to match the appliance This is the current style plug which is standard for new work, but there are also older style plugs rated 2, 5 and 15A which don't have fuses.

Go to "Non U.S. Electrical Systems" and look at the threads "Hello from U.K." and "Rings circuits U.K. style" for more info on the fused plug.

When I get a chance I'll post some notes there on the older type arrangements.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-01-2001).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard