ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Does every province in Canada use the same code?

G
our electrical licences are interprovincal except quebec the codes are different from province to province

E
Originally posted by glen:
our electrical licences are interprovincal except quebec the codes are different from province to province

Thanks Glen for the reply. I would really like to hear from other Canadian Electricians from the other provinces. Come on Guys and Gals, I know you're out there!

V
all provinces use the same code .each individual province admends the code as do each municipality within there respected province except for quebec they seem to do everthing on there own.

G
The CEC is a voluntary standard. It is made mandatory and given the force of law by each Province or Territory through the use of an Order-In-Council.

All jurisdictions use the CEC as the basis for their electrical safety inspections, but many also enact Regulations to amend or extend the CEC in areas where changes are thought to be desirable.

Also not to be overlooked are the numerous weasel clauses in the CEC generally in the form 'acceptable to the Authority having jurisdiction'. This gives Provincial or Municipal inspectors and inspection departments the power to make up rules as well.

Regards,
Brian

T
C22.1-1998
Canadian Electrical Code, Part I

The Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, is a voluntary Code, for adoption and enforcement by regulatory authorities.

General Arrangement
The Code is divided into numbered sections, each covering some main division of the work. The sections are divided into numbered rules with captions for easy reference.

(a) NUMBERING SYSTEM. Even numbers have been used throughout to identify sections and rules. Rule numbers consist of the section number separated by a dash from the 3- or 4-digit figure. The intention is that odd numbers may be used for new rules required by interim revisions. Due to the introduction of some new rules and the deletion of some existing rules during revision of each edition, the rule numbers for any particular requirement are not always the same in successive editions;

(b) SUBDIVISION OF RULES. Rules are subdivided in the manner illustrated by Rules 8-204 and 8-210 and the subdivisions are identified as follows:
00-000 Rule
(1) Subrule
(a) Paragraph
(i) Subparagraph
(A) Clause

(c) REFERENCE TO OTHER RULES, ETC. Where reference is made to two or more rules, the first and last rules mentioned are included in the reference. References within a subrule to other subrules mean the subrules of that rule. References to a subrule of another rule are, for convenience, expressed by the rule number followed by the subrule number in parentheses (eg, “Rule 10-200(3)” and not “Subrule (3) of Rule 10-200”).

Changes in requirements from the previous edition are indicated by a delta symbol (D) in the margin of the rule. Editorial changes, and other changes such as renumbering or relocation of a rule, are not marked. The delete symbol (d) appears immediately following areas where text has been deleted since the last edition.

(D) Section 0—Definitions
(See Appendix G)
Object

The object of this Code is to establish safety standards for the installation and maintenance of electrical equipment. In its preparation, consideration has been given to the prevention of fire and shock hazards, as well as proper maintenance and operation.

Compliance with the requirements of this Code and proper maintenance will ensure an essentially safe installation.

Wiring installations that do not make provision for the increasing use of electricity may be overloaded in the future, resulting in a hazardous condition. It is recommended that the initial installation have sufficient wiring capacity, and that there be some provision made for wiring changes which might be required as a result of future load growth.

This Code is not intended as a design specification nor an instruction manual for untrained persons.

Scope

This Code covers all electrical work and electrical equipment operating or intended to operate at all voltages in electrical installations for buildings, structures, and premises, including factory-built relocatable and non-relocatable structures, and self-propelled marine vessels stationary for periods exceeding five months and connected to a shore supply of electricity continuously or from time to time, with the following exceptions:

(a) Installations or equipment employed by an electric, a communication, or a community antenna distribution system utility in the exercise of its function as a utility, and located outdoors or in buildings or sections of buildings used for that purpose; and

(b) Equipment and facilities that are used in the operation of an electric railway and are supplied exclusively from circuits that supply the motive power; and

(c) Installations or equipment used for railway signalling and railway communication purposes, and located outdoors or in buildings or sections of buildings used exclusively for such installations; and

(d) Aircraft; and

(e) Electrical systems in ships which are regulated under the Canadian Coast Guard, Ship Safety Branch, Ship Safety Electrical Standards.

For mines and quarry applications, see also CSA Standard CAN/CSA-M421.

S
the code books are so convaluted now im surprised any one can understand them.I have a red seal interprovincial but my test was written on the canadian code book,but i live in ontario and it has its own code book quebec has there's and so on, some cities have certain rules before you do electrical in their town. In my opinion there should be one code for the whole country period.I like the kiss method myself, but everyone has their opinion and this is mine!

M
The BC Electrical code is almost the same as the CEC as there are only 1 or 2 amendments mostly because of small variances in Provincial statutes.

Link Copied to Clipboard