ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pauluk Offline OP
How To Keep Your Sparky Happy:
Some Tips for Customers.

1. When asking for a quote, never be too specific about what you want done. Electricians like guessing games.

2. If you're having trouble with existing wiring, never volunteer information. Any halfway decent electrician should just know that the light in the hallway has been flickering for ages and that the trip thingy turns off when you switch on the washer.

3. No matter how low the quote for a job, always query the price. Your electrician will appreciate your concern at asking why he won't work for next to nothing -- Like you do!

4. Always paint and decorate a room before calling in an electrician to carry out work. He will appreciate working in a nice shiny new environment. Careful placement of lots of fragile expensive items in the work zone will be appeciated even more.

5. Remember that electricians are mountain-climbers and pot-holers at heart. If your main panel is mounted high up, pile as much junk up across the wall in front of it as possible. If it's located low-down in a dark cupboard, fill the cupboard to capacity with assorted debris. Old sneakers and tatty overalls and rags soaked in every chemical known to mankind are a good choice.

6. If you decide to change your plans part way through the job, never tell your electrician until he's finished the original work. He will appreciate your thoughtfulness in not interrupting him.

7. Always remind your electrician that your brother's wife's second cousin once removed worked as a janitor for an electrical company, so you know a fair bit about electricity. Demonstrate your knowledge by asking highly technical questions, such as "How many volts make an amp?"

8. Point out, frequently, that you would have done the work yourself if you had the time. Then follow your electrician around every second of the day, looking concerned and occasionally making "tut-tut" noises.

9. Electricians are like camels and don't drink while on the job. Never insult him by offering him a cup of coffee.

10. When the bill arrives, hold on to it for at least 3 months before paying. As your electrician doesn't really like to concern himself with money, he will appreciate your postponing the fateful day when he has to sully himself with such mundane matters and deposit your check.

Hee hee! That's great...

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

LOL

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
ROFLMAO !
[Linked Image]
may we add ?.......

~If you've a toddler, lend him a screwdriver & let him follow the electrician as he/she works....

P
pauluk Offline OP
Why certainly! All additions welcome.... [Linked Image]

O
same here in NZ

E
And nothing better than having a dog up your ass all day. "Oh he likes you"! And dont let the cat out. And also "while youre here....."

G
Good question.....how many volts DO make an amp?
When your electrician asks "Have you been having trouble with the little 'trip thingy' on your washer" always reply with "Well, it worked before YOU got here" It will give him a sense of accomplishment.

Paul,

What can I say? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I've often thought of compiling a similar list and it seems that things are pretty much the same all over!

Here's an addition;

Always tell him how much you've already spent on the new Cabinets and Imported tile so that he understands why his prices have to help you come within the original budget.

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 06-01-2002).]

Bill
P
pauluk Offline OP
Hey, I like the additions! I should've included this one:

For at least 5 years before calling in your electrician, stash every piece of useless junk you can lay your hands on in the attic.

Old Appy,
I didn't realize we had a Kiwi in here. If you have the time, how about posting some notes on NZ systems in the non-U.S. area? I know you use the 10A Australian recepts. etc, but an outline of typical circuit arrangements, earthing methods, etc. would be appreciated I'm sure.

M
Paul:
While we're on the subject of attics, how about...
Since Sparkys alway like to work in the heat, wait until the hottest part of the summer before calling him (or her) to add a new circuit. Of course, if you have vents in the attic, be certain they are still closed from the previous winter. [Linked Image]

I like those technical terms, like "Trip Thingy"... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 06-01-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard