ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 484 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Originally Posted by gfretwell
If your equipment is tight I doubt you will leak enough to trip the GFCI.

I am not sure you understood what I was trying to say.

I was not talking about water leakage.

Almost all utilization equipment has some current leakage, the more equipment connected to a GFCI the less 'headroom' that is left between O ma and the trip level of the GFCI.

Of course your right it may work fine, on the other hand it may cause nuisance tripping of the feeder, which if I am hired to do a job I want to try hard to prevent.

As much as I advocate the use of GFCIs I think using GFCI mains to accomplish this is a poor design.

If I have the choice I install GFCI receptacles at each point of use and would only connect one hardwired device to each GFCI unit.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I think I still stay with "tight" meaning rain tight. Certainly defective equipment can trip a GFCI but properly working "hi Potted" equipment should "leak" in the micro amps. A table spoon of water will surely tip that into dozens to hundreds of miliamps pretty quick.
I have close to a half mile of THHN/THWN in pipe around here and it is all GFCI. I know what trips it.
My biggest tip. Arrange wires in the J box so the connections are toward the top of the box and point the wirenuts up.
They all "leak", particularly if the wind is blowing in the triple digits wink

Greg Fretwell
S
No you misunderstood. The GFI is not on the main feeder. It just goes to the hot tub out of the 4 circuit panel. If the main feeder is big enough, I will be coming back out of the 4 circuit panel,( the other two spare spaces) to get the pool pumps. I've got to go back to the job tommorrow to check and see what size breaker is feeding the 4 circuit panel. I'm guessing now that it is a 60 amp breaker since I think the wire is # 6 thhn. Steve..

G
It sure sounds like you will need a very sharp pencil to get this all in under 60a. If these are high E pool pumps you might make it. You are going to be at the mercy of the nameplate and the customer may get in trouble if they replace the pumps.

Greg Fretwell
I
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Certainly defective equipment can trip a GFCI but properly working "hi Potted" equipment should "leak" in the micro amps.

I think you would be surprised what the leakage is on some perfect appliances, any of the leakage current testers I can find on line work in milliamps.

I will see if I can find some real numbers from a standard.

Even the length of the circuit on the protected side of a GFCI can start adding some leakage due to capacitance coupling with the EGC.

Of course water can trip it.....thats the whole idea is it not?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
The "half mile" is not an exaggeration. I started with 6 500' spools and I am almost out of wire. When I trip a GFCI I find a box with water in it.

Greg Fretwell
S
Greg, I checked the hot tub today. The amp rating on the cover said 24/34. I don't know what the 34 was, because there was only one voltage rating (240 volts). I don't know why they put a 60 amp breaker ahead of this, unless they were allowing for the "start up". I took the biggest motor which was a 3/4 hp that had a nameplate of 6.4 amps at 240 volts X 125% = 8 amps
plus the other cleaner motor at FLA = 5.5amps
plus the hot tub FLA of 34 amps( ? )=34.0
Total amps 47.5 **
This still leaves some for the pool light
and recpts.
#6thhn in the 60 degree column is good for 55 amps. If the terminations on the panel are listed for at least 75 degree, and I'm sure they are, I can use the 75 degree table which allows me 65 amps. Am I correct? Thanks.. Steve

Last edited by sparkync; 03/26/07 09:49 PM.
G
Yup that must not be a very big hot tub.
Mine is on an 80a .
11 kw heat, 2HP jet pump and 3/4 circulation pump

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard