ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#101153 02/17/07 12:29 PM
As George stated "nice....work"
I read and understand the logical explanations from certain geographical areas.
Yes, a c&p conn would be a safer method to power-up from a gen. And, I guess the HVAC guy could just take the new unit out of the crate & plug it in.

The other devices mentioned by some, are we talking a factory/mfg c&p, or 'installed by EC'??

Replacement furnaces and boilers can legally be 'wired' by the heating contractor, plumber, oil man, or homeowner, as long as a permit is obtained. All are 'hardwired'.

BTW, accessory items? humidifier, electronic air cleaner, condensate pump, how do you cord & plug guys handle them??

John

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#101154 02/17/07 05:46 PM
G
...a 1900 box and 2 duplex receptacles? [Linked Image]

Greg Fretwell
#101155 02/18/07 08:34 PM
Just curious...
Do you guys back East always hardwire garbage disposals, dishwashers, gas water heaters,etc? If so, do you put a disconnecting means in for them?

(We don't call them "1900" boxes out West, they are 4" square or 4S boxes. We don't use "Greenfield", we use flexible metal conduit, we don't staple SE cable to the sides of our buildings or run NM cable exposed. You'd be hard pressed to find a boiler or an "oil man". Baseboard heat would be shot down in a second due to energy codes.). [Linked Image]

Conditions are different. Reno's picture is certainly not the norm, it's hack work anywhere.
Maybe you need to widen your horizons. [Linked Image]

#101156 02/18/07 09:57 PM
C
Just curious...
Do you guys back East always hardwire garbage disposals, dishwashers, gas water heaters,etc?

Tradition. I can think of no reason other than "I've always done it that way." We usually just stub the NM cable out and then hook it up. No "1900" boxes, mulberry's or cords to deal with later.

When I first visited southern California and Las Vegas, I thought "Wow, they are pretty cord crazy out here." I thought the "all-in-one" loadcenter located outdoors was pretty weird. The lack of oil heat as an option was also quite disturbing. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Peter

Peter
#101157 02/19/07 03:13 AM
G
It is hard to find a new construction house in Florida with hardwired disposals, dishwashers or compactors. The electrician is long gone when they do the appliance drop. The plumber gets the disposal on his final trim and the rest show up shortly before the customer so they will still be there.

Greg Fretwell
#101158 02/19/07 01:36 PM
G
Us guys "back East" wire disposals, dishwashers compactors etc. as permitted per Article 422.16(A) or if the appliance comes with a cord we provide a receptacle and properly sized circuit for it. This would be probably the rule for most of the State of Michigan. Okay, maybe we ain't "back East" but were mighty close to it. Maybe commerical equipment disposals, dishwashers that come without a cord are hard wired but most residential installations are cord connected. Don't get me wrong, I like cord and cap connections for some appliances because if and that's a big IF the electrician installs the cord there's a better chance it's done correctly and the receptacle is wired correctly and it's a better comfort level on the part of the inspector. It's not uncommon to see the cord by a non-electrician and it's sans a connector. That's when I write a violation to the electrical contractor.

George Little
#101159 02/19/07 02:31 PM
C
George brought up a good point that I hadn't considered before.

It's not uncommon to see the cord by a non-electrician and it's sans a connector. That's when I write a violation to the electrical contractor.

We usually aren't very comfortable with non-electricians doing "our" work, even if it's allowable by the rules governing that trade. Even something as simple as installing a cord or connecting a dishwasher, we would rather do than the plumber.

Peter

Peter
#101160 02/19/07 03:08 PM
I
It's not uncommon to see the cord by a non-electrician and it's sans a connector. That's when I write a violation to the electrical contractor.

Ahh... George...I am not accepting any violations for work I did not do.

Here the inspector would be required to notify the property owner and they would have to decide how to deal with it.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#101161 02/19/07 04:32 PM
G
Bob I don't often disagree with you but you see, I don't have anyone else to write a violation too. I'm called to make an inspection on a job that has a permit and it's your permit I write the violations as I sees them. Let the plumber/builder/electrician argue about who is too blame. This job has made me kinda stupid- I don't know who wired the disposal, all I know is it's not wired correctly and I only have one permit on the job. Usually only happens once with the same builder I've noticed.

Edited to add: Easy way to solve this- meet me on the job for the inspection.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 02-19-2007).]

George Little
#101162 02/19/07 07:21 PM
Cat Servant
Some of the comments made have reminded me just how different things can be in different areas. Indeed, furnace installs are likely one of the major differences between "East" and "West."

(I know it will horrify for Mid-Westerners to hear this, but EVERYTHING east of Denver is "back East." At least we don't call the Maryland / Delaware area "middle East [Linked Image] )

In the Chicago area, the furnace, water heater, etc., were typically located in a small mechanical room somewhere near the center of the building. The equipment was alos usually mounted on the floor.

Out West, that stuff is typically set on a platform in the garage. Unlike the earlier pics - which I posted to show 'how NOT to do it' - here is a pic of a more typical arrangement. Though but one cord is visible, everything electric on that platform has a cord & plug. The one item you see is a small boiler, for the drive ice melt lines.

[Linked Image]

I also agree that one reason that the cord & plug is preferred is that the 'other guy' needs, at most, to add a pigtail to the appliance. I really am not comfortable letting them hang a disconnect, or run a sealtite whip, etc. This view may be influenced by my regular contact with hack work - as my frequent pics here will attest!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard