ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101110 02/06/07 09:07 PM
here is a somewhat unusual question pertaining to a 3r transformed from 1r.

I have a 1r transfer switch that i want to make into a 3r....heres my thought if i enclose it in a 3r cabniet/or a ct can would that in essence make it a 3r?

i know its crazy...but this house is old(50 years) and the panel in the basement has been enclosed into a full row of upper cabniets with full bases below it and violating the 30 inch rule and the 3 foot rule in front since the bases are 24 inches in depth and panel is only 10 inches or so. plus its right at the corner and of course the bases(not uppers) turn and go five more feet. i called my local inspector(he'll be out thur.) to see about a blessing on installing the transfer switch to the left of the panel and taking off the cabniet door but still have base counter tops to recon with. it seems like as old as the house is perhaps he will overlook ...since a guy can easily service either or, but i am working on contiengency plan....
hence the 3r conversion.
technically the location outside wall is definatly not wet since it has a solid roof(car port)and does have 2 1/2 sides to its credit. which makes it more damp then wet but really that corner stays bone dry "IMHO"
it is 12 foot or more to edge of roof from corner with two full walls in very corner.
so there is my most perplexing question to date...the obvious seems to just walk away...but i have given my word to this old couple(80 years old) that come hell or high water there generator will be hooked up.
any and every idea is appreciated...oh yea these cabniets are this ladys joy (sewing stuff)and removing the bases just will break her heart.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#101111 02/07/07 11:03 AM
E
Is it possible to build a shed attached to or nearby to the house to install your generator and the transfer switch, and maybe the panel as well?

Earl
#101112 02/08/07 01:01 PM
M
Yes, enclosing something in a 3R panel will give it a 3R rating. Actually, if you got a larger 3R panel, you could place the transfer switch and panel in it, and probably have a clean look. You may need to move to a NEMA 4 panel at those larger sizes though! Take a look at www.automationdirect.com, they carry most of the hubbell panels and show prices...don't forget a back panel!

Link Copied to Clipboard