ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#100950 01/24/07 12:49 AM
T
Thanks I'll look into using them. This house has two master bedrooms. One up one down. I think the mother in-law is moving into the one down stairs. My guess is the reason the closet is so big she must have tons of shoes.

[This message has been edited by texassparky (edited 01-23-2007).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#100951 01/24/07 02:58 AM
[rant on] [Linked Image]

Oh, for crying out loud!! This situation is another example of the Code being out of touch with reality!!

Most walk-in closets are bigger than the average bathroom!! Yet the all-knowing, all-seeing bloody Code allows recessed lighting in a bathroom!!

[rant off] [Linked Image]

Given the description of the room and ceiling dimensions by texassparky, both my friend the local AHJ and I agree..put the recessed lights in, right down the middle of the room, maintaining a minimum 36" clearance from the shelves/cabinets and call it a day.

First, I'd try to educate her about the fire danger.

What danger in the scenario the OP has? Seems if standard design is followed for the walk-in, the nearest a fixture would be to anything is at least 4 feet. This is based on the 12' width and I'm accounting for 2' deep cabinets.

His take on the deal was that the lamps did not present a fire risk, as they were on a 10' lid and up the middle, well away from the (completely boxed in) clothes cabinets, and they were also recessed.

Funny, almost word-for-word on my AHJ's take on this subject. Nice to see another AHJ who has common sense. [Linked Image]

Bold following added by me:

A closet is not a closet is not a closet.

We are supposed to be professionals. In part, that means that we are aware of "closet fire hazards" and we are able to make decisions as to if such a hazard exists or not.

I see no hazard in this case.

Well said!! [Linked Image]

The size of a room does not designate what type of room it is. The prints will clearly designate the type of room.

and:

Get a copy of the plans, cross out the word "closet" whereever it appears, ans write "dressingroom."

Size matters not. Just ask Yoda. [Linked Image] And yes, the prints should clearly designate the type of room. The idea of crossing out the designation on the as-builts wouldn't fly, BUT, if the plans originally designate the room as most anything other than a closet...guess what? The recessed lights are legal and should be allowed.

Again, the Code needs to get into step with reality. But realistically, as was discussed here before, that would make the Code even more bloated, as it cannot possibly cover every situation.

That's why one must hope the AHJ is a person of reason and good judgement. [Linked Image] (My experiences so far show that most of them are.)

edited to fix html

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 01-24-2007).]

Stupid should be painful.
#100952 01/24/07 05:53 AM
I
Bob, what would you do in this situation?

I would not violate the NEC.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#100953 01/24/07 05:55 AM
I
Tony.

If you do not like the code work to have it changed.

Your AHJ is wrong to let it slide and you are wrong for doing it. (Unless your area has an amendment.)

It is very simple.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#100954 01/24/07 11:27 AM
Cat Servant
Sometimes, I think architects deliberately try to muddy the waters! Look at these other examples:

1) "Open" kitchens and combined counters / bars make the boundary between the kitchen and the rest of the house indefinite;

2) The addition of hot tubs, and "open" baths, to bedrooms makes the distinction of these two rooms open to debate;

3) As in this example, combined massive closets with 'dressing room' features start another debate; and,

4) The current "Casita" and courtyard design even opens a debate as to 'separate residences.'

I'm sure there are other examples. Perhaps we ought to remember them, as well as other judgment calls we must make, the next time someone asserts that the electrician is simply a body with a toolbelt!

#100955 01/24/07 02:54 PM
J
What about NEC '99 90-4?
90-4 Enforcement
..... The AHJ may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit alternate methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective safety

You can't say the AHJ is wrong for allowing it. You do still have to (and are allowed to) exercise judgement.

[This message has been edited by Jps1006 (edited 01-24-2007).]

#100956 01/24/07 03:54 PM
G
I thought the process was:

1) Determine what the customer wants,

2) Draw up plans that conform to the code,

3) Apply for the permit.

Certainly renaming the space "dressingroom" from "closet" at step 2 is proper.

It seems to make everyone happy.

---

The NEC is really not that complex. Anyone who does electrical work comes across issues like this everyday. Each picks a solution.

A less inclined worker will simply put in closed fixtures and be done with it.

But a worker who is worth paying is going to find a solution that is closer to what the customer wants and needs.

#100957 01/24/07 04:46 PM
I
You can't say the AHJ is wrong for allowing it. You do still have to (and are allowed to) exercise judgement.

I will be very surprised if many of us have met the AHJ.

The person we run into on the job is typically just an inspector.

The AHJ is the person or more likely the office that is charged with adopting the NEC.

Many times inspectors lead us to believe they are the AHJ when in reality they are not.

What happens if there is a fire?

Is the person that claimed to be the AHJ and let this slide going to remember that when asked?

This is an NEC forum, we are not going to recommend ignoring, violating or selective enforcement of the NEC.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#100958 01/24/07 04:48 PM
I
But a worker who is worth paying is going to find a solution that is closer to what the customer wants and needs.

If that solution violates the NEC that work will not have a job with the company I work for.

If the customer wants hack work they can hire a handyman.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#100959 01/24/07 05:27 PM
J
There are two ways to handle this:
  • Install covered incandescent and/or fluorescent.
  • Have the AHJ, not necessarily an inspector (but often times around here it is) allow the open recessed can if it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved

Any other way is an NEC violation. I certainly would not condone changing the trims after inspection or deciding to take selective application or enforcement of the NEC into your own hands.

Getting permission from the AHJ is not an NEC violation and it is a legitimate and professional way to handle this.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard