ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Hi there,

We have installed a contactor to control all of the lights in a model home for a builder. There is a sales office attached to the house (the garage has been converted) and the switch is located inside the door from the garage to the house. So basically, the sales people flip the switch and all the lights in the house turn on.

That said there is no (currently functioning) control for lighting at the front door or the back door of the house however access to these entrances will be restricted. A person will only be able to enter the house through the sales office. Is this acceptable?

The house is wired so that the contactor can be removed and all the switches in the house can be hooked up should it ever actually be sold. They are simply tied through in each switch box with a "dummy" device installed.

Are there any other not-so-obvious issues with the installation of this contactor that I should be aware of? I can't seem to find a section on "contactors" in the code book. Surely its only because I don't know where to look...

Thanks for your input!
Mike

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Sounds like standard stuff to me. As for inspections, I'd be getting a final inspection before people moved in and before a full C/O would be issued. With that, I don't see a problem. Typically we'd get a temporary c/o for saftey assurance while the home is being shown and let it go at that till it is sold.

George Little
G
We had a big discussion about models and models used as offices at Florida IAEI BB. There was the suggestion that when used as an office there should be exit signs and planned egress routes but when I asked why they didn't require the same for the model itself (it is open to the public) the muttering started and the conversation stopped.

Greg Fretwell
P
gfretwell,

Is the sytem programable to where later they can reprogram to switches at those locations later? Or are there no locations in place at all?

G
The ones I see are like what Mike described. They just loop 2 or 3 circuits out of the panel, into a 6x6 box with a contactor in it. When this goes back to a house for sale they hook it back up straight to the breaker and pull out the contactor box.

Greg Fretwell
H
Yup. That's precisely how we did it. And just for interests sake, we questioned (ourselves) about the exit/egress stuff on the house as well. We did install them in the sales office regardless.

Thanks again for the input guys!
Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard