ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
In addition to my required kitchen countertop circuit, the customer wants a 220-volt receptacle for an Italian appliance. This is similar to a toaster or something, but 220-volt. Am I not required by NEC to GFI protect?

What do they do in Europe? are they required to protect kitchen counter top receptacles with GFI's?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

210.8(A) All 125 volt.......
No GFI required.

But look out.

210.6(A)(2)Limits the voltage in dwellings to nominal 120 volts for cord-and-plug-connected loads of 1,440VA or less, or less than 1/4 hp.

E
That is an excellent question. I have never encountered such a situation. I guess you learn something new every day.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
Excellent answer also. I've run into this a coupla time when people want to use "portable" kitchen appliances like toaster and coffee brewers that they bring her from out of the US.

George Little
G
I don't see a huge hazard. Canada has mandated multiwire, split receptacles in the kitchen for years and they don't have a huge body count. That is still 240v on a single yoke. If the customes says he thinks the "kettle" is about 1500w the code problem goes away. I seem to recall the Brits use some pretty hefty kettles.
Nobody wants to wait too long for their tea. [Linked Image]

Being Italian it may be an expresso machine.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 01-08-2007).]

Greg Fretwell
M
OK, why not do it? It isn't likely to do much false tripping, and might save someone's life. $60 breaker vs. electrocution. Code is a minimum, not recommended design practice. What is the intent behind this part of the code?

How many homes have you done lately with the code minimum lighting?

Thanks... I'm done now. :-)

Mike Wescoatt
M
I find it interesting that it has taken the CEC until the 2006 edition to mandate GFCI protection around kitchen sinks and frankly don't really think that is necessary. I guess somewhere someone has been electrocuted in the kitchen by touching a faulty appliance and the sink. or washed a plugged in toaster. The CEC only requires GFCI protection for 15 and 20 amp receptacles. In Canada at least the Italian 230 volt, Pannini maker could have a receptacle installed without gfci protection. Now whether or not the appliance needs a special approval will depend on the lable on the appliance. Perhaps there is a standard that would not approve a counter top toaster operating at 230 volts for home use.
Incidently if for example a coffe maker was installed on the counter and was connected in such a way where it could not be easily moved on the counter, then if the receptacle was located behind the coffee maker it would not require GFCI protection.

R
In Ontario,Canada it is required to have all receptacles, that are located in kitchens and installed within 1m of a kitchen sink, protected by a GFCI. So if this appliance was within this distance it would need to be protected.

The CEC which, covers different provinces in Canada states that only 120V, 15 and 20 amp receptacles require this.

When I was overseas almost every panel that I worked in had those residual current devices. The buildings that I worked in were small. Sorta sucked troubleshooting because if a neutral in any circuit would touch ground the main would trip.

The appliance will most likely require approval for use in the US by the AHJ.

Myself I would GFCI it if it was close to the sink, if its located somewhere else then I wouldn't.

Wish I knew more about the US codes to help you out.

[This message has been edited by RobbieD (edited 01-09-2007).]

G
Where do AHJ's approve appliances? If it is not fixed in place when the AHJ issues the CO they couldn't care less what a homeowner brings in later.

Greg Fretwell
R
I'm not sure about the approval marking thing. All I know is that it is illegal here in Canada to sell an electrical appliance that is not listed by one of the approved agencies.
I just always assumed that the insurance company would give you a hard time if your house burnt down and they concluded that the cause was an appliance fire from an unlisted appliance that you knew wasn't listed by an approved agency.

But I guess they give you a hard time about all claims anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard