ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 208 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10071 05/29/02 06:57 AM
R
Redsy Offline OP
I am about to install wiring for an above ground pool...how's my checklist look?

1) 12-2 NM cable on the interior of the house.
2) Rigid PVC (18" deep) with 3 #12 THWN/THHN from the house to the filter pump.
3) Twist-lock receptacle located between 5 & 10 ft from the pool.
4) #8 solid bonding conductor from motor to pool frame with copper lugs.
5) Additional WP receptacle located 10-20 ft. from the pool.
6) GFCI protection all around.

Thanks.

#10072 05/29/02 08:33 AM
Redsy,

Don't forget Weatherproof-in-use cover(s), Make sure that Pump cord is 12 ga and 3ft maximum, and you might want a switch or Timeclock out there to control the Pump receptacle. If bonding lugs will be buried make sure they are rated for direct burial.

BTW, If you put GFCI protection before wiring goes underground you can save yourself 6 inches of digging (see Table 300.5 Column 4).

I think that about does it, assuming no overhead wiring nearby, or additional metal objects nearby that must be bonded.

Bill

Bill
#10073 05/29/02 08:46 AM
R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, Bill.
I intend to provide GFCI protection at the source, and didn't think about the reduction in burial depth for 120 volt ckts. My muscles thank you.
I will install a timer at the panel.
As far as the WP cover, I don't know if the dome on the covers will acccomodate the larger twist-lock plug. I remember seeing a single receptacle cover that actually had an o-ring or gasket that sealed against the face of the inserted plug.

BTW Bill,
I may be coming to the Electrical Expo. on the day Joe is giving his presentation (Wed.?) how about yourself?

#10074 05/29/02 09:12 AM
Redsy,

There are very deep covers that will accomodate the Twistlock plugs. If you can't find them at your supplier look at your local Home Depot, they have some nice metal ones. Using 'SJ' cord rather than 'S' helps to make it fit better too.

As far as the Expo goes, that may be my plan too.

Bill

Bill
#10075 06/03/02 01:08 PM
W
This may be too late for you and may or may not be applicable, but here is one thing worth considering when wiring the pool. As I type this, I realize that you were asking about an above ground pool, when I have an in-ground pool. I will add this comment anyway, as someone may find it useful or may wish to comment on it.

Our in-ground pool has two pumps. The main ( filter ) pump and a pump for a Polaris ( robotic pool cleaner ). The previous owners of our house had each hardwired to its own 2 pole 20 amp gfci breaker. They also used the breakers as the power switch. We had an electrician come out to upgrade the wiring and disintegrating conduit for the pool system. He put both pumps on the same 2 pole 20 amp gfci breaker and added 2 pole switches to control the pumps, rather than using the breakers as switches. Here is what you ( or someone else might find useful ): He interlocked the switches such that Polaris cannot be turned on unless the main pump is on. Running the Polaris without the main pump turned on, while probably not a safety hazard, can damage the Polaris pump motor as it depends on the main pump for its water supply. As a matter of fact, the documentation for the Polaris warns in the very first paragraph that running the Polaris pump without the main pump also running will void the warranty on the Polaris pump.

The electrician ran the power from the breaker to the main pump switch. From there, the power goes to the main pump and to the Polaris switch. That way, if the main pump switch is not turned on, there is no power to the Polaris switch, so it cannot be turned on accidentally.

[This message has been edited by wageoghe (edited 06-03-2002).]

#10076 06/03/02 01:58 PM
wageoghe,

I agree that is the best way to wire the 2 Pumps. I will usually hook them to a timer too. When the timer turns on the main pump it will also turn on the Polaris if it's switch is in the 'on' position that day.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard