ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10063 05/28/02 08:50 PM
C
Cindy Offline OP
who decides when a window is a show window?
a small bank downtown is moving into an old store with large show windows that currently doesn't have show window receptacles, but they don't expect to put electric signs in those windows, so do they need to have show window receptacles above them? they will obviously put some kind of advertising in them, like interest rates or cd rates or something, but what is the intent? like what if this was going to be an office or a hair salon? everybody downtown advertises something in their large windows with street frontage

#10064 05/28/02 09:16 PM
2002 NEC Definition and NECH commentary:

Show Window. Any window used or designed to be used for the display of goods or advertising material, whether it is fully or partly enclosed or entirely open at the rear and whether or not it has a platform raised higher than the street floor level.

See 220.3(B)(7), 220.12(A), and Exhibit 220.1 for show-window lighting load requirements.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#10065 05/28/02 11:13 PM
C
Cindy Offline OP
since we never really know how they will be used when finished, guess we just have to make some assumptions huh?
i assume there will be advertising done in them, but don't really know what they intended when they wrote this requirement.
i wish it specified retail vs. office spaces or banks or barbers or other businesses. it would be nice if they stated the intent. oh well...........

#10066 05/31/02 02:09 AM
Broom Pusher and
Cindy,

This comes up here and there - both by fellow trades persons and by Inspectors.
It's sometimes a no-win situation [Linked Image]

I work primarilly on Bank Branches - and these projects are typically T.I.'s [Tenant Improvements] within "Stand Alone" Buildings and within Storefronts [like Stripmalls]. Many of these T.I.'s are done within Buildings which were designed to cater almost any Tenant, so they contain large window sections at the front door area[s].

Of the possible 400+ Branches I have worked on [from small installs to full T.I.'s and new Buildings], none have utilized the window space as what would be defined as "Show Window".
I would say the best way to classify this is that the Bank does not feel the Security Risk of displaying Cash, Bonds and Mortgages within a Show Window is really worth the Advertisement Value [Linked Image]

The City Accepted Plansets [Plancheck approved] have never shown any Show Window outlets, because there isn't any need for them. These windows are more of a nuiscance than anything else!
The windows normally get the typical "Bulletguard" film and tinting on the outsides, then Vertical Blinds are installed inside.

I have gone over this one many times. Some feel that since the windows exist, they require show window outlets [which may be correct afterall???]. I explain that they [the bank people] do not intend to use them for any LIGHTED ADVERTISEMENTS, as they become a maintenance nightmare and tend to draw attention to somewhat unsecure areas.
They do hang plexiglass encased marketing items, but they are not lighted.

Another argument has been aimed towards future tenants. Have heard that since we do not know what the future tenant will be, we must install the show window receptacles.
To this I have a somewhat "Generic" reply [generic as in simple and always the same]:

"We are Building a Bank for this current Tenant. What happens when the lease runs out and a new Tenant moves in? Will they need to remodel / T.I. to suit their needs?"
Of course they will! They will need to do at least some minor Electrical work.

Only certain Tenants will need show window lighting, and no one knows who is going to lease the building [or suite] next.

The next tenant could be a Sandwich shop, which would want show window lighting, or could be a high production Widget Manufacturing plant which does not want show window lighting, or could be the Logistics plant for the storage and distribution of the Widgets [also not wanting show window lighting].

These examples also follow with the minimum service sizing arguments, plus the subpanels sizing and outlet placement / sizing arguments which come up over and over again in the field.

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#10067 05/31/02 07:58 PM
C
Cindy Offline OP
thanks scott, your insights were very helpful

Link Copied to Clipboard