ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#100633 12/07/06 10:35 PM
H
The firewall between townhouses in this area are commonly constructed of coreboard drywall set in "H" channel with resiliant firring screwed to it on both sides, some thin insulation, and 5/8" firecode drywall applied to that. There is no cavity for the boxes. So builders usually stretch the 12 ft. limit on the front and rear wall of the room or add a floor box. We are told "no penetrations" are to be made to the rated wall. Even the floor joists are run parallel to the wall without attachment to the rated wall.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#100634 12/08/06 12:36 AM
I've only worked on something similar to this once, and that was an apartment complex rewire.. Shared walls got 4S boxes (or 1900's for you east coasters [Linked Image] ) with a 3M pad. All of our NM-B's passing into or through the wall had to be sleeved in FMC with Firestop caulking around the wall penetration. ¾" drywall was used on shared walls as well

#100635 12/08/06 01:47 AM
B
Very interesting responses. Unfortunately, I had already put in a switch on this wall to two recessed cans I installed. I did notice that there was an outlet on the floor in the middle of the wall. Any suggestions on what I can do at this point? I used a regular cut-in blue box for the switch. Everything in the condo is pulled in romex as expected.

Thanks

#100636 12/09/06 06:41 PM
As I understand it, given a 1 hr rated wall, then the deal is:
If it is a steel box 16 sq inches or less and there are not more than 100 sq inches combined total of openings in 100 square feet of wall, then it does not need a fire pad as fill for the annular space.
PROVIDED:
1)Outlet boxes on the opposite side have a separation horizontally of not less than 24".
or
2) It's got solid fire blocking in between the boxes on the opposite side
or
3)If it's got loose fill cellulose or mineral fiber insulation, it can have a horizontal separation not less than the depth of the wall cavity from a box on the opposite side.
or
4) It's a box made of any material.listed and tested for the purpose.

If the rating is greater than 1 hr, or it 1hr and doesn't meet the requirements above, then you'll have to firepad a metal box.

If you've put in a cut-in box, or Madison clipped it a box, steel or not, it has to come out.
Boxes in fire-rated walls can't be supported by the drywall.

A regular blue plastic box won't do, regardless.

It's good to see some concern over this important subject of fire ratings. Too many guys don't even notice, or just don't care.

If your floor outlet is within 18" of the wall, then it can be counted as one of the required outlets. 210.52(A)(3) Unfortunately, if you have a 15 foot wall, a minimum of 2 would be required. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-09-2006).]

#100637 12/10/06 02:54 PM
E

Earl
#100638 12/18/06 06:57 PM
B
HLCbuild, in my townhouse (in Manassas) they did provide a cavity for boxes, there is the party wall which is as you described, but there are studs and another layer of drywall. They also put insulation in the wall, too, believe it or not. Incidentally, the party wall is attached to the framing of the house with metal "L" brackets which I'm told will melt in the event of a fire, preventing the party wall from being pulled down.

Apparently it works pretty well since the townhouse across the street caught fire and pretty much had to be torn all the way down. The party wall on either side was still intact.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard