ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#100532 02/21/07 07:58 AM
S
You might try a google search, often they're on random websites. If you can find the base number the Army/Air Force/Navy used (vice the UFC #), that might help you search as most people seem to go by the old numbers.

Assist has a lot of documents, too, but I was under the impression that access was restricted. Can't hurt to try! http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#100533 02/23/07 05:16 PM
D
Originally Posted By renosteinke:
Another discussion - about AFCI's - raised the assertion that the NEC will lose respect as it becomes just another marketing tool for manufacturers.

Other comments suggested that the code writing proces has become corrupt, with manufacturers twisting the code for their own ends.

Thissound a lot like the argument when the NFPA came out with NFPA 1983 "Standard on Life Safety Rope and Equipment for Emergency Services", which originally called for any rope used in a rescue activity to be "red tagged" and destroyed after that single use. The Code stated that it was not even allowed to be used for training or utility (equipment hauling) purposes!

At $0.69 a foot as the cheapest price about that time, a "standard" 200' section of rope runs $138... not including shipping.

After a significant uproar by the emergency services community, alleging that the "fix was in" at the NFPA by the rope manufacturers, and replies by rope makers alleging a lack of knowledge by the committee members, the Code was "revised" to allow continued service as long as the rope was inspected thoroughly after each use.

As a new "rope dope" in 1985, I told a few guys debating the fiasco that erupted that NFPA now stood for Not For Practical Application.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 02-23-2007).]

#100534 02/23/07 05:19 PM
C
Has the NEC lost focus? No.

Has the NEC taken some questionable turns lately? Most definitely.

I think that if it continues on this path, there should be some kind of legitimate "revolt" (for lack of a better term.) I don't know how this could be accomplished, but I do think it should happen if design issues as opposed to safety issues are made into code rules.

Peter

Peter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard