ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Under what "name" do I find this cable. Basically a fire rated URD. This is for onstallation of a residential service from a disconnect/meter at a pole to go directly into the house and to the main panel.

Is the cable I should be looking for RHH and/or RHW or is there something different???

Thanks.
Mike

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
URD is Underground Residential Distribution.
A medium voltage (15KV- 35KV) cable used for underground residential transformer feeders.

Do you mean to say USE?

Earl
H
What I am looking for is a URD type cable that I can take directly into the house to the panel. But yes I guess I mean USE as the URD terminology is not really used anymore.

Inspector is telling me that I cannot use USE to go from to pole where the meter/disconnect is mounted directly into the house to the panel (in conduit). That I have to use a fire rated type USE.

I guess my question is whether or not that is RHH and/or RHW and where in the code can I find more info on this situation?

Thanks

E
The UL listing for SERVICE CABLE (TXKT) is the place to determine the acceptability of your cable. USE cables cannot enter inside, as they have no fire/smoke rating.

UL lists Types USE and USE-2 cables for underground installation including direct burial. But, they are not suitable for use in premises or aboveground except to terminate at the service equipment or metering equipment.

The UL listing includes the following: "Type USE cable contains conductors with insulation equivalent to RHW or THHW."

Sounds like you need to either change wiring just outside the house, or terminate at the meter enclosure, then change to SE cable prior to entering the house.

Earl

Link Copied to Clipboard