alright folks this one really has me stumpted. i have a 14-3 home run which wasnt holding(red leg tripping)which upon trouble shooting discovered it was the hall three way traveler and ground dead short, nail likely suspect as a soffit was added after the fact... but while trouble shooting this dead short i discovered that the home run had/has an anomaly.
with all the wires disconnected at the box i did a volt and continuity check to the three wire home run, i got a reading of 36 volts to ground from the red leg while it was shut off at the panel and the black circuit was turned on which read 120 volts to ground and vice versa whith the red circuit on and the black circuit off.
between the two circuits with one turned off i got a reading of 72 volts conductor to conductor. i dont understand whats happening with this multi-wire home run.
and more confusing is how there is a drop of the same phase(impossible from everything i was taught)there isnt any continuity between any of the conductors(except the white and bare landed on ground bar) red to black, red to white, red to bare. black to red, black to white or black to bare. so how can i see a drop with one circuit on across red and black? it is totally disconnected and shows no ohms yet i have double voltage leg to leg and half that leg to ground.

experience is the best teacher and i am hoping you guys and all your experience can explain this one to me.

thanks,h2o