I had a 1750KW UPS drop off line, taking the critical load with it. It was an emergency power off...Self Initiated...and it's not supposed to do that. Why it did this is the Mfg's problem and that is being dealt with. Here is my issue. There is only one EPO switch for the UPS, which is in a card controlled room in a card controlled hall with access limited to 6 people. When the UPS EPO circuit malfunctioned, it dropped the load on power down instead of going to bypass. I was told by various talking heads that this was "CODE". WHICH CODE? However in the wiring harness there is a cross connect plug that when removed allows the unit to go to by pass instead of just dropping the load. Since the unit has to be UL listed, why would they design this feature into the UPS as an option? I can't find any answers in NAPFA other than they (fire marshals) want the batteries off line on power down in the event of fire. So, I thought I would check with the NEC guru's to see if any one can point me at anything the might be related. Your input would be appreciated.