The 2005 has an exception to 210.12(B) that states (I left out the metric designations and used abbreviations):

Exception: The location of the AFCI shall be permitted to be at other than the origination of the branch circuit in compliance with (a) or (b):

(a) The AFCI installed within 6 ft of the branch circuit OC device as measured along the branch circuit conductors.
(b) The circuit conductors between the branch circuit OC device and the AFCI shall be installed in a metal raceway or a cable with a metallic sheath.

This will permit leaving the panelboard with a metallic protected circuit to an AFCI receptacle and then going to the bedrooms. Considering the cost differential between GFCI circuit breakers and GFCI receptacles, I would assume that there would be that type of savings for an AFCI receptacle. If that is the case, I would also assume there could be two or three AFCI receptacles together in a ganged box just below or next to the distribution panelboard for all of the bedroom circuits (it would be really easy to drop a 1/2" EMT straight down and pull in some THHN for the receptacles). [Linked Image]

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy