I'm a GC new to this board, who does small remodels and home improvements. I have been reading this BB for many months and have learned much from all of your collective wisdom/experience.

Here's my question: I have had several customers request the replacement of their kitchen lights with 4 inch recessed cans. The previous lights in these tract homes were two, 4 ft, twin tube fluorescents recessed into a drywalled "box" in the dropped section of ceiling (drywall). I remove the old fixtures, frame the recessed area and drywall flush to the dropped ceiling. I have done 2 jobs using 4 inch Halo remodel non-IC H99RT and lamped with CFL's (I realize the HO can freely exchange it after I walk out the door, until now, all HOs like the CFLs and the energy savings). But a new client doesn't like the look of the spiral bulb and wants PAR's.

Apart from the energy issue here in CA (Title 24), my primary concern is the heat build-up in this enclosed area. Should I be? Am I blind to other factors of concern?

I have scoured this forum and the web, regarding this issue of the "enclosed box" to no avail. Thanks for any input.