So, what you're saying is that code requires you (in 210.70(A)(2)(c)) to install 3-way (or possibly 4-way) switching to control a lighting outlet in a stairwell, but you aren't actually required to install anything other than a blank plate on that lighting outlet? Same goes for storage and equipment spaces in 210.70(A)(3)? Let's take it a step further. By this reasoning you could install all of the lighting outlets required by 210.70, blank them all off, and be perfectly legal?

Try this experiment at home:
1. Remove all the lamps from fixtures
connected to lighting outlets.
2. Wait until dark.
3. Enter each room in the house (especially
bathrooms with no windows and the base-
ment).
4. Attempt to either find the floor or
table lamp in that room or complete a
task specific to that room or area.
(See earlier reference to the bathroom.)

All kidding aside, I stand by what I said earlier about the definition of lighting outlet. In fact, to modify it a bit, the important part is actually the entire phrase intended for the direct connection. I believe it's worded this way to preclude the installation of cord-and-plug connected lights in those areas requiring a lighting outlet. The exception in 210.70(A)(1) gives relief from this in habitable rooms other than kitchens and baths, but lights in all other areas required in 210.70 must be directly connected to a lighting outlet. That wall switched receptacle remains a receptacle outlet rather than a lighting outlet.

That's still my take on it.

[This message has been edited by Mvannevel (edited 08-23-2005).]