Can someone provide some insight or a code reference that applies....

A large home manufacturer is building a new residence near an existing residence that will be demolished upon completion. There is also an existing garage that has a metered 200 amp service (complete overkill because only has 5 or 6 circuits) The general has their own electrician to do all of the wiring but they require the homeowner to get a licensed electrician (me) to feed the new residence from the existing garage service.

1. I don't like this idea because essentially this would make the primary residence run off of a sub-panel tapped off of the garage main panel. The first reason is because I do not believe one can have a 200 Amp sub-panel tapped off of a 200 amp main panel. The second reason is that I was always under the impression that the primary residence MUST contain the main panel and the sub structure contain the sub panel. Am I correct? Can anyone provide a code reference to back up my opinion?

2. My idea would be to run a new 200 Amp service lateral to the new house and then feed the garage with a sub-panel (100 amp max maybe only 60 amp). Demand factor calculations indicate that 200 amp would be sufficient for both structures. Any other ideas?

This is a rural area and the AHJ seems too busy to return my call or perhaps he doesn’t know either.