Here's a situation maybe you all can help me with. On one particular design / build project, the electrical subcontractor is proposing to place branch circuit wiring from two different panelboards in the same conduit run. The idea here is to feed a string of light fixtures from alternate panelboard circuits and save a little on conduit in the process.

The first light would connected to a circuit from panel A, the second light on panel B, the third on A, and so on alternating back & forth. The string of lights is between the two panelboards, so the branch circuit conduit would run from panel to panel with a J-box at each light fixture location. The light fixtures themselves are surface wall mount fluorescents mounted just below the J-box, and have a short piece of conduit to connect to the afore mentioned J-box.

Back when I was a field foreman, we never dreamed of doing something like this. The reasons seem so obvious, but I am unable to find anything specific in the NEC that precludes it. In fact, NEC 300-3(c)(1) would appear to support their proposed design.

Thanks for any clarification,
Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.