I used romex in the auditorium of a movie theatre, specifically for the class 2 aisle lighting circuits. Again, this is for a 12 volt circuit. (actually it is 112 different 12 volt circuits in 14 auditoriums). Under 1999 NEC article 518-4(a) exception (c) I can do this, I think. Also I think 336-5 (4) gives me some ammo as well.

Building department objected at first, but then said they'd go along with it if Engineer wrote a letter saying it was "OK". So-the engineer writes a letter, basically saying it is "OK" with him if the building department is "OK" with it. So, the building department responds that the electrical engineer has too many strings attached. They want him to re-word the letter he doesn't want to re-word it. This could be very ugly. Finish is rapidly going up over walls....

I can run speaker wire, t-stat cable, low voltage lighting control, fire alarm cable, screen-motor LV control wire. All this is allowed per 518-4 (a) under exceptions. If I had used a #12 speaker wire cable; the building department would not have even blinked. Oh, and these guys are not electrical inspectors; they are general inspectors.

any input would be 'preciated.

thanks,
John

what do you-all think?
thanks,
John