Yes bonding of a pool primary fuction is to eliminate voltage gradients that may be present. But it also brings the structure of the pool and all associated equipment to the same potential in case something were to become energized. Bonding of a pool and bonding of a buildings structural steel are alike...there are both keeping parts of a steel structure and electrical equipment at the same potential in case they do become energized.

Isolated sections of steel on the upper floors as you have described in the old mill are different than the structual steel setting on concrete in direct contact with the earth as I assume is the exsample in George Little's post.

If 250.104(C) intended to mean a complete steel skeleton forming the structual steel of a building need only be bonded...then it should say just that. But it can not. Surely someone would hang if somebody were to be hurt coming in contact with George Little's steel structure that was energized and not properly bonded because 250.104(C) only meant to bond complete steel structures forming the skeleton of a building.

My opinions are based on what I've been taught by instructors. This forum is a place to voice opinions of how things are done in the industry and interpretations of the codes applied to them. If I am wrong about something, then please correct me. I am here to learn.I don't see the need for the inspector comment...

JMO, shortcircuit