I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the title seemed suitable for a question I have.

Is it legal to use non-insulated crimp connectors (the spade/fork variety) to attach stranded wire to the ground screw of receptacles and switches? If so, I assume it is also OK to use the insulated type for side wired switches. These are 3M brand connectors, being crimped with the Klein red & black handled crimping tool. I don't think they make that particular tool anymore, but it is just like the Klein #1006. I guess I should get rid of that tool and get the 1005 for both the insulated and non-insulated connectors. Thanks.

Roy
Remember that the US NEC requires that "Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling." If the instructions on the package that bares the listing mark specify a crimper than you must use that crimper. As long as the connections you are talking about are installed within the limits of the listing or labeling I can't see any problem with using them.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison