I am having trouble with Exhibits 230.8 and 230.12 in the NFPA 2002 NEC Handbook. What section permits these installations without special permission? These two exhibits in the NEC Handbook are driving me nuts. Are they permitted without special permission? If so, by what section (I have been looking at sections 230.2, 230.40 Exception No. 2, and 230.71(A))?

The conclusion I have reached (so far) is that they couldn't be used as examples of special permission if the caption or text following the picture didn't say special permission was required. Therefore, in accordance with 230.40 Exception No. 2, the service laterals are considered to be a single service lateral.

My conclusion seems squirrelly to me and I am looking for some other opinions.

This is my reasoning about 230.2(A), (C), and (D).

230.2(A) would not apply if you have apartments or a regular multi-tenant building (that is what I am assuming the drawing illustrates).

230.2(C) would not apply if all the individual service disconnecting means were the same and were fairly small (100 and 200 amperes).

230.2(D) would not apply if they were all the same rate being fed from the same transformer.

With that line of reasoning, I am back to my first conclusion. [Linked Image]

Keep in mind that service is defined as "The conductors and equipment for delivering electric energy from the serving utility to the wiring system of the premises served." In other words, 230.2 is talking about service drops or service laterals, not service equipment.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

[This message has been edited by CharlieE (edited 11-07-2004).]

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy