Question that bothers me. After 50 years of allowing the neutral feeding a dryer and range receptacle to serve as the ground also is now required to be independent. As we change the cords on existing units we separate the ground from the neutral and install the cord to be used with a 4 wire receptacle. Problem? I am betting that as these units get older and folks start to sell them the people that pick them up will live in older properties with 3 wire receptacles. Their answer to problem? Take the 3 wire cord from their appliance and install it in place of the 4 wire cord on the used appliance w/o knowing the situation they are creating. Within 10 years we have loads of dryers and ranges not grounded and the potential for lethal shock. Am I missing something or did the code panel miss something that should have been left in place, expecially with todays copper prices? I have already come across this situation where the girls father thought he was doing her a favor and left the unit ungrounded.Just a thought.
Ron