What just happened here? Joe's second post sounds like he has taken offence to Don's question. I thought Don asked a very reasonable question (one which many readers probably had). Joe, at first, gave three code references that probably don't even apply to Jim's situation. By Jim's description, the receptacle isn't "within a bathtub or shower space". The receptacle is only adjacent to the tub. McGraw-Hill's "National Code Handbook" gives a definition of this zone. It is not the same zone referenced for luminaire placement. Also, the parts of 550 and 552 that Joe mentioned might be good side notes but should have been accompanied by at least a blurb describing their limits.

Again, I want to be clear. The service Joe provided by adding his actual code text is very informative and helpful. However, by simply pasting them with no explanation is obviously going to be misleading. One sentence would have sufficed; “these code excerpts don’t directly apply but are a good ‘reminder’”.

I hope I have misunderstood the conversation here. If I haven't, then I can only assume that there have been prior verbal altercations between Joe and Don because this exchange alone definitely did not warrant any animosity.

[This message has been edited by triple (edited 09-27-2003).]