Triple, I agree voltage drop needs to be considered before the conductors are run. Usualy, at least my expierence has been that you would consider voltage drop when you are going to have a long run and the application is usualy industrial or commercial work and maybe house wiring when your service latteral or feeder circuit is a long run. But have you ever thought of it while running branch circuits in a single family dwelling? Unless it was an extremely long run I would not give it a consideration. However, after wiring a house, passing inspection and everything was fine, the homeowner decided to have a "home inspector" check out their house a year after they moved in. The inspector plugged in a Sure Test Circuit Analyzer and it showed a 7% voltage drop at full load on a 20 amp branch circuit (#12 wire of course and runs not longer than an average run, about 8 outlets per circuit). I got my hands on one of those testers and checked the outlet next to the panel and that also showed a 7% drop (I wouldn't think there would be a drop within 5 ft of the panel). My opinion is this tester gives false readings, and that is the reason for my questions.

Seth