hi,
i usually can get away with $45 for a residential call, $55 commercial, $65 industrial..then that same rate for every hour after that, but i cant say that i have had many jobs that did not start out as a serv call and end up a bid..like a panel change out...it might come up as a service call then find out its a lot of work..

if the job ends in an hour then i try to think about the next time they may need some help...i would rather build a repeat customer base than have poor customer relations. i have made a lot of money off the fact that the client likes and respects you..

i am not too sure about all this talk about charging based on attitude. if the customers attitude is one that is disagreeable, i usually decline the work all together.

i always tell a client who complains about a charge to consider what is involved with running a business from a legal standpoint and a business approach, they tend to realize that a business is meant to make a profit. i have a lot of customers who want to supply thier own materials or try to figure out what the materials are costing me...i always let them know that t here are many different types of materials available and the price varies with manufacturer, quality and where and how much is purchased...i have to charge for my time as far as material handling and sitting at the supply house...

-regards

frodo