Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
Here is a Link to some information concerning Fluorescent Lamps, Ballasts, and Fixtures. Nothing specifically on why different brands look different though.
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_flamp.html

Bill

Thank you for posting this. Lots of good info there. I printed out all 22 pages and put it in a binder.
I have a new adventure now. I only had 30 minutes to check it out so I'll do an update after work tomorrow. There are sixteen 2x4's on two circuits with two sets of 3 way switches. When I turned one breaker off, two fixtures turned off, the rest were mostly off. When I turned the second circuit off, everything was off. Then I turned the first circuit back on and left the second one off and most of the fixtures were mostly off. I turned both breakers on and turned the 3 way switches on and off one at a time and the results were bizarre, unpredictable and not consistent.
Anyway, my mission, should I decide to accept it, is to add six more fixtures. Seems simple enough but this is the same group of criminologists who were unhappy with the different colors.
The new fixtures have electronic ballasts, the existing ones don't.
The whips look longer than six feet and the only one I had time to look at didn't have a ground wire so I'm assuming none of them do. I didn't notice if the flex was steel or aluminum.
This should be lots of fun.