It is amazaing how different our estimates are from one another.. I mean essentially we all do the same thing. So just do a little test..
Lets say you are called to install 6 hi hats in a den. and a ceiling fan with no lights. You are to supply the hi hats and switches the homeowner will supply the ceiling fan. (Not purchased yet.) But the homeowner wants the hi hats on a dimmer and the fan on a fan speed controll.
*Side notes:
You have access to the attic area, above the den, where everything is open.
Existing switch on wall to switch outlet which they want to eliminate the switched outlet.
Existing service is a 60 amp federal pacific.
Hi Hats used Halo H7T old work with BR40 65 watt bulbs and white on white trims.
Ceiling fan to be installed at a later date. (When homeowner purchases fan)

For my estimate I would check the following first before estimating. I would trace the circuit, turn on all the appliances / lights on that circuit. Test the ampers to see if I have to run a new circuit.
I would then show the client/customer different lighting/hi hats and trim options to make sure there selection is truly what they want. This is done by means of catalogs or lap top.
If no additional circuits are needed I would fall to my basic prices. Old work hi hat installed for $125.00 per hi hat. upgarde from switch to dimmer $75.00 Fan controll $75.00. Fan installation $75.00 Total job would cost $975.00.

What would you charge??

James