This is very true - stick with spec grade and higher.

At my mom's I replaced all the outlets with Leviton Spec. Grade devices. However these are not back-wire - they're side wire (wrap around the screw).

Haven't had one get cracked ... yet. Same thing with the sockets in my apartment - all Leviton spec-grade.

I had a bad experience with a Decora device I installed at my mom's -- purely as a try-out.

Apparently someone (my kid brother probably) forced a three-pin plug into it or twisted it and cracked the face! It has been replaced by a Bryant/Hubbell spec. grade socket.

For the money you spend on Decorator-style devices you're better off getting "normal" Spec-grade I think.

Recently I've come to prefer Eagle/Cooper and Hubbell/Bryant spec. devices though.

For instance the 15-amp sockets have triple-wipe contacts that hold the plug in very tight. And I'm not kidding about tight, you have to give the cord cap a good pull to be able to get it out of the socket!!

Even though Leviton specs grip the plugs firmly enough, they still seem too loose in comparison with the Eagle/Cooper and Hubbel stuff. Next time a socket in my house requires replacement I've got a pair of Hubbles and one Cooper in my junk box ready for installation.

The problem is how easy can I get them: Home Depot pretty much sells only Leviton products (one H.D. in New Jersey did have Bryant 5-15s - where I picked up two).

And the local hardware stores usually just sell the crappy "residential" stuff that is very prone to breakage, in my experience.

At Lowes you can get the Cooper/Eagle spec grade stuff - that's where I got the one Eagle outlet that I have.

I have a very old Hubbell single 1-15 receptacle with the two T-slots that I found at a junk store. I plugged a cap into it to see how worn out it was and guess what, the contacts still had spring-action in them and held the prongs securely!! [Linked Image]

What do you think of Pass & Seymour sockets? I used one (again as a try-out) and it seemed OK.

I'll tell you one thing though - avoid General Electric outlets - especially the ones sold at K-Mart. But you all probably know this.

You can just tell by looking at them that they're not going to last any length of time - even Leviton's "residential" line sold at the big Orange store is cheaper and better (and that one is true crap I think).

'Scuse the long post. [Linked Image]