In the NEC 1999, Art. 351, A, 351-23, B(not-permitted), (3) state that Sealtight length no longer then 6 feet, except by Section 351-23(a)(5).

In our Chemical Plant, ours T-stan used to state that the recommended length was 36" long, minimum 12", maximum 6 foot, anything longer had to have Departmental approval. Our company like most company have started following the NEC and stop using the T-stan, now here where my concern come in.

In NEC 2002, page 70-193 (soft-cover) under Liquid tight Art. 350, 350.12 show Uses Not Permitted, that the length have been taken out. Since ours plant and other are following the NEC, I feel like this can have some serious consequences. I have already seem 20 foot section of flex ran in the feel in Class 1, Div 1 & Div 2 areas. I have talk to ours Electrical Engineers, Electrical people and others, and they say that we need to go by the old standard, but since their is no official documentation, beside the NEC, that technically, contractor or others can run what ever they want. I was just involve in a Explosion last December, I believe this is a risk that isn't worth taking.

Please let me know what you think about my concern and why, so I can share it with ours staff. Thanks.

Jackie R Jennings