I just met a GC from San Diego that is going to expand/renovate a friends' house here in NY (LI). I will be doing the work which will likely amount to a complete rewire. During discussion of what has to be done by code (NY) and what they want done some interesting expectations came up. I was told it is common in CA to have a Meter/Main Panelboard installed outside the house and that it is recessed into the exterior wall. This includes the conduit mast above the meter. (it is inside wall) He said that the only thing exposed is 18" of mast above the roof for the point of attachment and the weatherhead. Can anyone confirm this? I don't think this would be permitted in NY.

Also, on receptacle placement he cites a "six foot rule" for spacing. He confirmed that it means an outlet every six feet and said it is the code out there. Is that a fact, or is he misunderstanding something?

As you might expect I would like to make sure that we are all on the same page and I know what everyone's expectations are. Working for friends is sometimes a chancy thing. [Linked Image]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-13-2002).]

Bill