Ok, seriously this time...

I wouldn't think of wiring my home (or any other building) myself. Not because I'm afraid the electricity wouldn't work, but because I know quite well that it (the electricity) WOULD work and I might not have contained or controlled it properly. So, all new electrical work requires a professional.

Also, an annual inspection or at least a good once-over on some consistent schedule sounds like a good idea. Our church is establishing a 'handy man ministry' with the help of several professionals that attend and own their own businesses (in the fields of expertise for which they're volunteering). We're hoping to offer an electrical, a plumbing, a heating/cooling, and roofing annual mini-inspection and maintenance visit, especially to those who are unable to assess or complete their own home maintenance needs (widows, single moms, etc).

Also, I call my electrician when I see him hanging around the corner store too often shooting the breeze with his buds over coffee in the morning and I ask him when he's going to come install those bathroom fan/vent/light thingies that have been on the shelf in my garage for eons.