<rant>

I was helping Musser at the Greenbrier Hotel today, we were working on landscape lights, and the GFCI receptacle to feed them, when the question came up for whether the GC/owner/powers-that-be wanted the U ground up or down.

Joe (Musser) went to go find out, and came back with a carpenter/foreman who started explaining to me that "it was code to put them in ground up because if something falls... blah blah blah... we're all (mostly all) familiar with the convincing argument... that is, if it weren't for night lights (polarized plugs) CO detectors (plug-in type) and right-angle appliance cords, it would be a good practice.

However, we got into a rather heated (getting to the point of getting defensive on both parties...) "discussion" on whether or not it was a code requirement.

Joe piped in to say that we'd be more than happy to put them in ground up (and we were) but I didn't want someone going around beleiving that it was code, and telling others that it is code.

I read every article in the 2002 NEC concerning receptacles (again) just to make sure, and now I'm on a search for the ROP's that I could print out and SHOW the man that the very argument was presented and rejected (as it always is every three years...).

*out of breath*
</rant>

Any help out there? The old link to the ROP's that Bill had on here are no longer working...

[Linked Image]

Thanks guys and gals...

-Virgil

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI