Article 700(9)(d) (’99 code) lists acceptable methods of protecting and emergency feeder in occupancies over 1000 and buildings taller than 75ft. in certain occupancies. Sub section 1 lists fully sprinklered buildings as one of the choices. This was relaxed from the ’96 codes requirement that the feeder itself be sprinklered, for instance in the ceiling space or chase that it runs through.

How many buildings are being built these days without fully automatic sprinkler systems? Especially buildings of this occupancy? I have a meeting at our shop on Wednesday and one of the things we are doing attending a product demonstration of a listed circuit integrity cable that also meets this requirement. I think this vendor is trying to sell us something we don’t need due to the fact that all buildings these days are fully sprinklered. (Unless of course the job specs require it) What do you think?

I do realize the AHJ must approve the fire suppression system for this purpose. How many jurisdictions won’t accept this method of protecting the feeder?