The NFPA figures smokes on a GFI to be undesirable, unless it is an unescapable consequense of whole house protection.
It is a 'survivability' issue, much like fire pumps.
When they pursued the 11th hr 210.12 change from 'receptacles' to 'outlets' the 30ma AFCI function was not considered.
My state may reverse this, due to this very issue at hand.
30ma is really the skinny, this 'waveform' baloney is quickly becomming an NFPA X-file.
I asked , at an IAEI seminar with some nationally acclaimed speakers ( the dudes with thier names inside 70) if an AFCI mitigates a series arc, none answered in the affirmative........ [Linked Image from ezboard.com] all agreed that it needed to be looked at, and i suspect ( by the number of AHJ Q's then) that the ROP's for 210.12 will be extensive.....

NFPA 72, 2-3.2.4 ( 96') :
AC primary (main) power shall be supplied either from a dedicated branch circuit or the unswitched portion of a branch circuit also used for power and lighting. Operation of a switch (other than a circuit breaker) or a GFI shall not cause loss of (main) primary power.

EX No 2~ where the GFI serves all electrical circuits within the household

210.8(A)(5) EX No 3~
Exception No. 3: A receptacle supplying only a permanently installed fire alarm or burglar alarm system shall not be required to have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection.