This is probably a good thing to bring up once in awhile so that everyone knows what their rights and options are. I figured We could use a recent Email Inquiry as a base situation. It would also be interesting to hear from locations outside the US as to laws concerning this.
I am making an enquiry on behalf of my mother whom is a Chairperson of a Community Based Marae in NZ
My mother answered a knock at her door from a Plumber whom had been employed by a previous contractor to do work at the Marae -He had not recieved any payment/s for work and materials supplied and completed on the above premises, was therefore handing his account to the Marae of concern.
My mother was told that if the marae did not meet with the invoice/costs that he would than come onto the property and remove all materials and work completed.
My mums concern is:
* Can this contractor do this -as he was not employed or approached by any of the marae committee members
* Whose responsibilty is it to pay for his costs
(The contractor whom employed him or the Marae)
Please can you send me Legal information regarding the above - as my mum and i are females and not aware of any Building Contracts or Liabilities

Looking forward to your speedy reply

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-22-2002).]

Bill