In response to the series vs. parallel arc response of AFCIs--

I thought the whole technology was based on asymetrical waveforms, and therefore not current-dependent. Don't all arcs impose a relatively
high resistance? I understand that series arcs also are in series with the load, thereby limiting current flow additionally, but again I thought the
issue was the shape of the current wave, not the magnitude.

Someone please enlighten me?

Just to add some FYI, once a Plasma [Arc] is established, the Conducting area / path which it's composed of becomes highly Conductive [high MHOs, very low OHMs], and may extend into the "Negative Resistance" region if conditions allow [meaning that the Conducting area which is "Inside The Plasma Envelope" has not just zero Ohms Resistance, but the Resistance figure falls below zero into negative numbers].

This highly Conductive thingee makes the Plasma able to draw high Currents - and the clincher: With the increase of Currents flowing, the Plasma and Conduction area also increases; which allows higher Current flow; which increases the Plasma size; which increases the Current flow; which increases the Plasma size;... on and on until something gives out [aka total available current flow level is reached, no more current available, rupture of conducting surface / material, introduction of "Positive Resistance" at the contact points in the form of heat energy: this is normally glowing materials and/or fire].

Since a Plasma in Series with a given load [series arc] is bridging the gap between source and load, there is a limit point for total current flow.

Parallel flow paths [parallel arcs] are limited only by the circuit's characteristics, so they can be high or low flows, or high then low at random.

One other thing related to a Plasma with AC systems is that the Capacitive nature of the Conduction path results in an increased Voltage, plus spikes and surges of Voltage.
A swing of Power Factor into the Leading PF

This stuff relates to the elementary phenomina.

The AFCIs analyze the characteristics of Current waveforms and try to match the characteristics when "Called Upon To Do So" [aka trigger into alarm status]. This trigger follows increases in Voltage - such as Spikes and Surges.
The match-up of known Current waveform characteristics with a related Voltage situation is analyzed for a given time to see if it continues. If it does, the AFCI trips. If the scenario does not continue steadily for the minimum test period, the alarm is reset and the process begins once again when a new alarm trigger occurs.

Very intelligent pieces of equipment!

Like Spock says: Fascinating

I hope this makes sense and is accurately recursed from my slowly and steadily fading memory to the keyboard and finally to the forum.

So to answer your question, Yes I do believe that if you turn on the Water when taking a Shower, you will have much better results.

What were we talking about again??? [Linked Image]

<memory loss joke>

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!