Phil,

Thanks, Let us know what you find out.

Sparky,

one would think that liability alone would drive any given manufacturer to have their goods tested , however it may not necessarily be a law to have to do this??

I think that is the case. You also have to remember that there is a large amount of imported products sold in the US that may or may not have been tested by a NRTL.

I chose Hot Tubs for my example because of personal experience with them. A number of years ago there was a number of Hot Tubs being sold that were made up of all UL or CL listed components but never tested and listed as an assembly or 'Package Unit' by a NRTL. I assume this was because sales were down and to cut corners and make sales they decided to forgo this 'extra' expense. As a result of not being listed the installations (hardwired) would not pass inspection. I even turned away some work because of it. They came without cords so they couldn't even be plugged in for 120v operation.

I remember going at it on the phone with the Manufacturer several times over his sale of non-listed equipment to a consumer. The standard answer was "of course We use UL listed parts go look at them" The consumer is often fooled by this statement. It is definately not the same thing as it being tested after assembly and listed as such. [Linked Image]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 05-11-2001).]

Bill