Hello,

What is the reason for this code, sorry dont have the article in front of me, but why should I ground a wall switch?

This has bugged me since it was added to the NEC. If the intention was to protect people from a shocking experience, I would say that a situation where one might get a shock from a plate screw is rare.

If it is the intention to protect me, the one working on or with the device, again I dont see the benefit.

In my 14 years in the trade I have seen maybe 2 cases where the strap of a switch had become energized. Both instances occured with "very" old push botton switches that simply failed due to their age. How does this code protect me from this, it cant. The code is 60 years to late to be of any help here.

Also I find that following this code causes more potential for a short and or shock while working on the device. Yes...your saying "Well just turn of the circuit", this is fine but we all know that this isnt always practical. Its always exciting to have, say 4 switches, all ganged together with 1 single ground wire, that is always to short to be of anyhelp.

Im sorry I just think this code is more of a hassle than a help.

Hmmm, bet the device manufacturers get 1 cent more per device to have that pretty green screw added to it.

Oh well,......Could you atleast tail a ground for each device in a gangable box....the next apprentice I see tailing only one might have to spend the day with a razor knife and the scrap pile...

Thanks for listening [Linked Image]