Sparky,

Yes, the Dryer is a 120/240v Appliance. The Heating elements are 240v and everything else is 120v. Normally this would require a 4 wire circuit, but the NEC had allowed 3 wire cables (for Ranges also) for many years under certain conditions. The most common wiring I've seen is SE cable. The following is a Quote from 1990 Handbook (notes after 250-60)

The use of the grounded circuit conductor for grounding purposes is contrary to other requirements of the Code..... However, it has been allowed for many years because of the good safety record of these particular appliances that are grounded through the grounded circuit conductor and because an open splice or break in the grounded circuit conductor would normally render the appliance inoperable.....

Rick, I'm not really that concerned (safetywise) about the link not being removed, I just find it Ironic at best, that the code rules are changed and 4 wire receptacles are installed but many dryers will still be "3 wire" because nobody knows how to cut the link.

Bill