Thanks for your reply, Sparky.

I've also posted this question on the IAEI (International Association of Electrical Inspectors) website and received quite a bit of information. It seems the Inspectors are leaning more towards allowing it under 517-32 (c) which provides that alarm systems may be tied in. This makes more sense because the system is an alarm, however, it also raises a new question: Because this section lists only fire alarms and alarms which are part of a system used for the piping of nonflammable medical gases, can an alarm which is neither of those be attached?

Another point I have mentioned on the IAEI site is that our system is connected to the fire alarm panel. Should the fire panel become actuated or disabled, our system is automatically disconnected. Because of this design (which is required by NFPA LSC 101, 5-2.1.6.1)our system can exert no additional drain on the LSB in the event of an emergency situation. Additionally, the system is UL tested and approved.

The point you raise regarding differing opinions depending on location is well taken. My job was just recently created by this company because of the nightmarish task of compiling a comprehensive dataset of every statute, rule, regulation and code which may apply to the installation/use of our systems in each of the 50 states & the District of Colombia. Not only must I gather the data regarding State Electrical Codes, but that related to Life Safety, Building Codes, Electrician Licensing, Contractor Licensing, State & Federal codes regarding nursing facilities, and, in some states, City and County Codes for all the above.

The reality is that there is nothing uniform about the application of these codes at the local levels. Even in jurisdictions which have adopted model codes, (such as the NEC) there are often amendments where they pick and choose how they will (or won't) apply certain sections. Top this off with the fact there is often very subjective interpretation of particular sections, and you could have a company such as mine becoming very frustrated, very quickly.

Tim