I agree with N.O. minded (nice nickname) that this is an excellent forum. Good hearty stuff on really interpreting the code.

My question lies in getting the infamous 5 years experience. Due to a "loophole " in the law I'm sure you all hate, on single family dwellings, repair and install work can be done on a home by someone that isn't licensed, as long as it gets inspected throughout and meets all applicable codes. I have been doing this for years now (12!)and I know local inspectors to the point that they even seem to trust my work now. Getting an apprenticeship has been a real bummer if not impossible and no one ever seems to be hiring. Also I feel the local electricians seem to install junk and I don't want to. Some say I do serious overkill, (which make my customers feel safer) but plastic on plastic has forever given me the creeps!!

My question is can I use this experience to justify my years and apply for a license? I did four years college in EE (couldn't finish - ran out of money 3.4gpa with honors!) I fear applying because poor applications seem to carry "rejections with prejudice" but respectable inspectors seem to like my work for neatness, safety, and clarity. (I believe in color coding feed lines, filing diagrams of my work, even for phone line/network/cable tv/x10/surround sound home entertainment/ etc.etc... I want the license however, for multi-fam dwelllings and service entrances. I know protecting the world from idiots and yahoos is important, I feel like I'm the only person in the world willing to undo their messes, but it's time for some real papers. I could pass the test. I have even helped friends study! I think my location is important too. Our inner cities need people willing to make the extra effort to put safety first ( I LOVE the GFI/AFCI discussion!) ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

flipster