Good LOTO works for the day, anything longer than that - I remove and cap all the circuits at the panel. Same goes for multiples of circuits. And definately when doing demo. Demo crews are often dumb as dirt, they'll be doing something - trip a breaker with a rot-hammer and 3 compressors on the same circuit then go through all the breakers that might be off - including the ones under those silly red things. So when I shut it off, I pull it right out of the breaker.

Oh, and good practice of working if "it might be hot" is to disconnect in the same way you should train yourself to connect things - but in reverse. >ground, nuetral, hots to connect. Then < all hots, neutral, ground to disconnect. Of course insulated tools, gloves and eye protection. Never ground yourself, even inadvertantly by the elbows, knees or especially the head, or any other part of the body. (When I was in the service - electricians were the only personel allowed to put thier hand in a pocket. But the other one had to be in a panel [Linked Image] ) Good idea to test things one handed - get a clip for one meter lead, hard point in the other. Fluke makes a magnetic hanger for some meters, or use the clamp-on for your ammeter to hang it in the panel where you can see it.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason