I really only see the listing change affecting what US retailers can sell. Originally this product (Duralight) was designed to be field assembled by specialty contractors and that was the way it was listed. When it first came out people charged ridiculous prices for the installation. Then about 5 years ago Sam's Wholesale Club started selling it cheap as an assembled product, still no big sweat. It was when the Home Depot type stores started selling cordsets and bulk rope that U/L reevaluated the listing.
BTW the last time I looked internet sellers still had "parts" but the price is so high that it is cheaper to buy stuff on the day after Christmas and go with that. They charge as much for a line cord as you can get a U/L listed 30' assembly for. I can see that an improperly assembled cord to rope joint might fail but I can't see any hazard with cutting off the end and reinstalling the inert cap. Niether of these is as complicated as putting a plug on a lamp ... but that voids the listing too.
I also wonder who inspects the Chinese plant that assembles the "listed" product.
BTW all the rope light I have seen is wet listed

Greg Fretwell